]>

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[C'EST MOI]
living paradox. individualist with anarchistic tendencies.
eludes eminence but appreciates subtle recognition.
capricious yet dependable. clandestine and unfathomable.
cynical realist who succumbs to the occasional idealism.

[J'AIME]
music. films. feasting & drinking. team sports.
good company; family, friends and those who share similar interests.

[CRITIQUES]


Find me on MySpace and be my friend!

[MES PHOTOS]
Latest Photos

Archived Photos III
Archived Photos II

Archived Photos I


[LINK 'EM UP]
Artsy Fartsy
Alliance Francaise
Blues in Singapore
Blues Downunder
Magnetic Attraction
The jungle out there
Save An Animal!!
The Hunger Site
Blog Surfing

[LES AMIS]
Le Deja Vu
Chris' Musings
Scribbly Fi
Grace's Journal
David's Raw Stuff
Jordie's Digital Whispers
Kenny-boy
Reality Bites
Nardev's Starting Point
SK's Search for Wisdom
TY's Cynical Sarcasm
Salamander Mokkie
Living Yongzhi's Life

[RECENT UPHEAVALS]


[REPOSITORY]
August 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007


Thursday, December 21, 2006

Impaired Senses

Zonked.

It's been AGES since I last went clubbing cos I thought I've outgrown the deafening music, the achy dancing feet and the toxic drinking.

Now, I can assuredly say that what I thought is so true.

Went to the raved St. James Power Station last night with my darlings last night. It was a rather eye-opening experience at first, well, given that I haven't been there before. I was so drawn by the music at Movida, a live room featuring world music and with some people dancing salsa and twirling on the dance floor while others sit around and enjoy the music. But unfortunately we didn't stay long enough to enjoy the happening beats. Then we passed the Bellini Room as we made our way to the Gallery Bar. The Bellini Room is a live music bar playing......

SWING, BIG BAND AND JAZZ music!!!!

Very unfortunately AGAIN, was coaxed into the R&B club, the Powerhouse, to rub shoulders with minors and be made deaf by the booming music, and by the time I managed to convince the rest to take a break and retreat to the jazz bar, the band had already left. Boohoo...

To be honest, it was a pretty mortifying experience.

For one, I learnt that my threshold for alcohol has dipped drastically and thus ended up puking in the toilet after a few drinks. Two, I REALLY don't like clubbing. Though I enjoyed being with 2 of my best mates, I felt really bummed that I wasn't really enjoying the dancing and R&B music as much as they did. Clubbing with them was so much fun 3 years ago when I actually enjoyed the activity. Three, all I can think about now is how I missed the swing band.

But to be fair, I had my share of fun, ie, the silly photo-taking antics we girls never get enough of. And of course, the socially-enriching experience of people-watching and observing... plus, I must add that the service there tops. Or maybe it's because it helps to have friends who know people who have friends in high places. This really nice waiter took us to the Powerhouse when he heard that we wanted to drop by, and even led us all the way to the dance floor.

The Gallery bar is so cool. This lounge overlooks some of the clubs like Dragonfly and Movida.
Think the viewing gallery at the airport. Clear, unobstructed view but fully sound-proof. I liked this place because the music wasn't so loud that I had to shout my conversation to my friends. Oh at Bellini's too. And did I mention the first-class service already?

Dragonfly is this Cantopop club with singers belting out numbers and crooning ballads on stage like a real pop concert. Except that it's not. I thought I saw Sylvester Sim doing his usual 'stylo-milo' actions while on stage but I could be wrong cos I only got a clear view of the back of his head. But I'm pretty sure it's him... I saw the singer do some 'rock-on' sign after he finished his song.

The crowd at Dragonfly was a rowdy bunch and reminded me vividly of those kind of nightspots in the HK dramas of triads and gangstas. The staff even had to break up a fight between two men in druken stupor who were shouting words to each other I can't make out because the music is too loud and I don't understand dialect.

Will I go to St. James Power Station again? I seriously don't know. Unless the occasion calls for it, I think I'm happy staying home, hanging out at Timbre, Wala or Jazz at Southbridge. Afterall, I do need to think a little for my poor ears. They're still ringing.

[Time of Confession] 1:58 PM
0 Wisecracks for Me

_______________________________________________________________________________________

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home